I’m still cooking Mexican food this week and I made some mini Chili Relleno tarts for a party for Saturday. I love creating recipes for any party, especially a themed party. This is one of the appetizers I’m serving for a co-ed baby shower with a Mexican theme on Cinco de Mayo. I love Mexican food and these tarts are a nod to the traditional Chile Relleno that I love but in a sweet little bite as an appetizer.
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
1 4 oz. can diced Hatch chilies, mild or hot
1 4 oz. jar of diced pimientos, drained
½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 packages of phyllo cups (15 in each package)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Over medium heat, pour the olive oil in a small sauce pan and add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and eggs and whip by hand or with a mixer and blend until smooth
- Add the oregano, chili powder, black pepper, salt, chilies and pimientos, stir until well combined
- Stir in the Cotija cheese and the cheddar cheese
- Spoon into the phyllo cups and bake on a parchment lined sheet pan for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately. Makes 30 mini tarts.